VS 2012 RTM not working?

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Hi all,

Great work on the SmartPaster to the people behind it.

I actually can't get this version to work on VS 2012 RTM. It just says it can't load the extension. Does anyone out there having the same problem, or does it work for you?

Thanks,

Coordinator
Sep 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM

The "Visual Studio 11" instructions on the front page were wrong for Visual Studio 2012 RTM (I've just corrected them as follows...)

The visual studio directory during the RC was C:\Users\userName\Documents\Visual Studio 11\AddIns, but in RTM it is C:\Users\userName\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\AddIns. Unless you installed the RC then upgraded to RTM, in which case you still use "Visual Studio 11"...

The most common reason VS refuses to load addins is the dll and/or addin still have a web origin.

When you download the zip, open the properties and it'll say at the bottom "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" with an Unblock button. You must click the Unblock button. When you unzip, the dll and addin file have the same origin as the zip archive. If it's not unblocked, Visual Studio will refuse to load it.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Thank you for you help Martin.

I eventually got it to work, though it turned out that the "C:\Users\userName\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\AddIns" wasn't configured as an addin directory in my Visual Studio 2012 configuration. Odd. This StackOverflow answer helped me: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4653436/how-to-visual-studio-add-in-manager

Once again thank you for your help and also for creating this version of Smart Paster. Keep up the good work :)